by Envision One: Diamond Orton and Lawren Wabash
Marijuana. Explore the effects, types, ways of use and interviews from actual users.
- Marijuana comes from the hemp plant Cannabis sativa. It has an active ingredient called THC that makes you feel high. THC and other compounds in marijuana can also affect the way your body works.
- No matter how it gets into your system, it affects almost every organ in your body, and your nervous system and immune system, too. When you smoke pot, your body absorbs THC right away. (If you eat a baked good or another item, it may take much longer for your body to absorb THC, because it has to break down in your stomach before it enters your bloodstream). You may notice changes in your body right after you smoke. The effects usually stop after 3 or 4 hours.
- Red eyes
- Shallow breathing
Ways it can be used
- Marijuana can be smoked or “baked” in what they call “edibles”.
- Edibles can be brownies, rice crispy treats, cookies, lollipops etc.
Types of marijuana
- Morphology – indica and sativa plants have differences in appearance.
- Flowering time – sativa plants have a longer maturation cycle than indica plants.
- Yields – Indica strains tend to produce heavier yields than sativa strains.
- Flavor – Indica and sativa strains tend to have different flavor profiles
- But to what extent do these classifications hold true? Ask almost any cannabis consumer to compare the indica Bubba Kush to a Sour Diesel sativa, and most will say there is a definite difference in effect.
- Let’s take Blue Dream as an example. Due to its sativa-dominant genetics, we expect Blue Dream to make us feel uplifted and energized. Sometimes, however, you’ll find a more indica-like phenotype, or a strain that expresses characteristics we associate with indicas, such as relaxing effects, a shorter flowering time, and a bushier plant structure. How the plant is grown can also affect the strain’s terpene and cannabinoid contents, and more or less of either compound type may give rise to different physical sensations.
- There are over 30 nicknames for marijuana, but the most popular names are: weed, pot, roach, L, joint, J, dope, chronic, blunt, broccoli (in a popular song) and dank.
- Popular types of marijuana are sour diesel, purple kush and granddaddy kush.
Diamonds Interview Responses
- 1st Person: This person smokes Sour diesel also known as “loud” has a strong smell which makes this person move slow and sleepy. This person has never mixed anything in his cannabis.
- 2nd Person: Smokes “purple kush” which has purple strands which gives it the name “purple kush”. This person will drink alcohol while smoking to boost his “high”.
- 3rd Person: This person smokes “loud” which makes her “feel on top of the world” and I asked her what does that mean and she explained it makes her happy.
- Sidenote: Marijuana affects people differently. Someone may smoke a type of marijuana makes them sleepy and drowsy and it may make another person hungry, funny or possibly sad.